Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Zoom Review

C-

Ever feel like getting in a rocket car and blasting off at 5000mph?! That's somewhere on my top 10 list of things I wish I could do rather than sitting at this desk.

Anyhow, Zoom is all about going really fast. I can't help it...I really wanted this to play like F-zero and it doesn't. But I swept that out of my mind while playing. Think of this game more like you're trying to break the landspeed record in the year 2100. The only thing you're racing here is the speedometer.


This won't be a long review, because that about it. Accelerate, and go as fast as you can until you "crash." I didn't feel that the controls were very tight (very slippery) which is sort of key in a game like this. Sometimes the road was very straight, other times is was clearly too curvy to navigate at all.

What does work is the sense of speed. It does feel pretty damn fast. But the SFX, which could have been used to really help ripple the player's face skin, are bare bones. There's no explosions, or sparks - no checkpoints, banked corners, etc. It's just a flat road, and each attempt will probably only take you 10-15 seconds before veering off the road.

This doesn't really feel like a complete game to me. It is fun for several attempts at a top speed, but the novelty wears off quickly. If you're a crazy speed-junky, or a junky speed-monkey, have a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment