Monday, April 6, 2009

A Fading Melody Review

B

When I decided to start writing reviews, I told myself I would try really hard to not draw annoying comparisons. I like to think of the XBCG library as a clean slate, or else it's too easy to get bogged down with "it's a clone!" talk.

But in the case of A Fading Melody, I can't help ignore and draw some comparisons to the indie hit Braid. In this case, it's meant as a compliment.

The first thing that struck me when I launched this game was the atmosphere. It has that calm mysterious feel (well set by the music and art style) and gameplay that actually begins on the title screen, followed quickly by on-screen text that is purposely infused to the gameworld. These are all elements that Braid brought to the table, and I have to say that A Fading Melody pulls it off nicely as well.

The graphics are a good example of how to employ simplicity and style to help aid a game's overall tone. They aren't flashy, but they are well-suited.

When it comes to the gameplay, it's a fairly satisfying platformer with a mechanic that encourages progress based on the need to keep the screen from going dim - which also ties in to the story. (no spoilers here folks)

My critiques - the platforms all seem to have an 'icy' feel which can lead to some frustrating missteps. And the game would have greatly benefited from more levels, both in terms of game-length and variety. But at 200 MP this is worthwhile experience, albeit a short one.

This was a serious review because the game put me in a serious mood. ;)

1 comment:

  1. Mmm, I felt it was rather sucky as a platformer, overly pertinacious and had rubbish collision detection.

    ReplyDelete